The end of the week is drawing near and honestly speaking it has been rather heavy and ‘heaty’. Lots of spicy cooking with rich foods non withstanding. So its time to end the work day with something light. And since I am also not feeling entirely well, a little porridge will do some good as well. Cleanse the system, I always say.
Decided to make Silver Fish Congee with Chicken Stock. All natural ingredients and easy to whip up. Burp, I already feel contented. Its comfort food at its best. Hit the full article for the recipe.
Silver Fish Congee with Chicken Stock
- 2.5 litres water
- 1.5 cups of uncooked rice, washed and rinsed clean
- 1.5 inch ginger, peeled
- 1 whole garlic, cut in two.
- 250 gram Silver Fish (You can substitute it for any fish you like. Though I highly recommend an oily fish like Cod or Threadfin)
- Some chicken bones/feet
- Wash chicken bones/feet with salt and rinse well.
- Boil water and add the uncooked rice, ginger, garlic and chicken bones. Stir constantly, ensuring that the bottom does not burn. Simmer for 1-1.5 hours till desired consistency is achieved.
- Wash silver fish with salt and rinse well. Add to the congee and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken bones if needed.
- Serve with garnishes of chopped spring onions, fried shallots, teaspoon of sesame oil, few dashes of soy sauce and a few dashes of ground white pepper.