I have been on a bread making frenzy. Bought some active dried yeast the other day and felt all ready to go. Tried to create the perfect loaves, but it was harder then I thought. On the third try, something good came out of the oven and oh it was heavenly. Morning buns? Feel fresh.
Morning Buns Recipe
- 500g plain white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 2 tbl sugar
- 2 tsp active dried yeast (approx 6g) or 12 g fresh yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup of milk, room temperature
For that glossy surface (Egg Wash Mix)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix the flour, salt, butter, sugar, yeast, yolk and milk together to form a dough . It should be quite firm.
- Cover with cling wrap and leave to prove for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough to release the excess gas.
- Flour table slightly and knead dough twice.
- Divide into 60g portions. Preheat oven to 200degrees celsius.
- Grease baking tray.
- Roll out each portion to form a thin rod, wrap to form a knot.
- Place individual portions on the tray. Cover with cling wrap and leave to prove for 45 minutes.
- Brush each piece with egg wash mix.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes.
Makes approximately 24 buns.
I found out that letting the dough rise is a very important step to create that fluffy interior. Still have some ways to go though, but hey, who knows what I will create next =)