Somehow, I simply love to cook Beehoon. The strands of rice vermicelli are such a creative ingredient in absorbing all sorts of flavour. Couple that with a strong degree of seafood sweetness and umami richness, and what you get is perhaps a salivating portion of beehoon that will keep you going back for more. I reference this particular recipe with inspiration from my Grandaunt. Almost every Chinese New Year, she will prepare a big tray of beehoon stirfried with black soy sauce pork belly that is full of flavour and tasty goodness. The cooking method for this dish does not require you to stir fry the noodle in oil, but instead to allow the noodles to absorb the seasoned liquids that make up the wonderful flavour. For my Seafood Beehoon Recipe, be prepared for a good amount of work but the results, satisfying.
Seafood Beehoon (Serves 3-4)
Total Cooking time : 45 minutes
- Half pack Beehoon (about 200 grams), soaked in water
- 12 – 15 prawns, shelled but keep the shells and prawn heads.
- 1-2 scallops per person
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 pieces chilli padi, sliced
- 1 piece scallion, sliced
- Good butter
- 2 tablespoons fermented soya beans (tau cheo)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 3 eggs, cooked to an Omellete and sliced.
Preparing the seafood stock
- Coat prawn heads and shells with cornstarch, pepper and salt.
- Heat pan with 3-4 tablespoons of oil.
- Stir fry 1 tablespoon of mashed tau cheo till fragrant.
- Add in medium red onion.
- Add in marinated prawn heads and shells.
- Add in 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine.
- Stir fry till prawns are cooked. Press down on shells and prawn heads with spatula to release the juices.
- Pour in three bowls of water. Boil and simmer.
- Add in 2 tablespoons light soy sauce and 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce.
- Blanch the prawns and scallops in the seafood stock till cooked and set aside.
- Reduce till liquids is enough for 1.5 full bowls.
The Seafood Beehoon
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in pan.
- Cooked sliced yellow onion and chilli padi in butter on low heat for 10 – 15 minutes to allow flavours to develop.
- Add in sliced scallions. Add in 1 tablespoon taucheo, mashed.
- Add in hydrated beehoon, stir fry till evenly coated.
- Add in a bowl of seafood stock. Incorporate liquids throughout the noodles.
- Cover and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in more liquids if necessary.
- Serve out beehoon, top each dish with prawns, scallops and omellete.