Electrolux, the Swedish household and appliances manufacturer, is proud to present its latest campaign, the Electrolux Home of Blissful Living with an interactive Facebook quiz that seeks to test players on their home management knowledge and award prizes! The quiz will test players on every day household skills, through multiple-choice questions in an interactive game show format. Successful players will win $50 vouchers weekly, culminating to a grand prize of $2500 worth of appliances from Electrolux.
To enter the contest, all one needs to do is visit the company’s facebook page at www.facebook.com/thelittlewhitebook to have a go at testing your household knowledge and winning prizes. The entire idea behind the Home of Blissful Living is for users to have a sneak preview at the company’s latest range of intuitive appliances that seek to take the hard work out of housework. To demonstrate the simplicity in its appliances, Electrolux invited Chef Eric Low for a quick cook off. Chef Eric will also be sharing original recipes that have a special touch, tips on cooking and how to use cooking appliances smartly to fans of The Little White Book.
For the night, Chef prepared a quick 3 course dinner. Each dish was made from scratch, and was done simply in the matter of an hour. I have to say, the idea is great for a quick dinner party. Tempted for some Roast Beef with Truffle Soy Braised Mushrooms, paired with a staple of Oven Baked Asian Paella and finally ending off with some Fresh Strawberries with Balsamico Vinegar and Vanilla Ice Cream? Read the full article to learn more about the recipes!
Chef Eric preparing the Roast Beef
The Electrolux ovens was used extensively for the night. It could fit in the entire rack of roast beef, and the other had a giant pot of paella cooking that could easily serve 12 people.
Roast Beef with Truffle Soy Braised Mushrooms
800g Beef Sirloin Piece, cut into 3 long strips
100g Dried Shitake Mushrooms, soaked and sliced
300g Honshimeiji or Bunashimeiji Mushrooms, trimmed
70ml Light Soya Sauce
1tsp Dark Soya Sauce
2tsps White Truffle Oil
1. Season beef loins with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 100⁰C.
2. In a hot pan, sear the beef on all sides. Transfer to roasting tray and roast the beef for 25 – 35 minutes depending on thickness.
3. Place mushrooms and soya sauce in a braising pot. Add sugar and water, bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Add truffle oil to the mushroom mixture.
4. Slice the roast beef and serve with truffle mushroom sauce.
5. Sprinkle with Salt and Coarse Ground Black Pepper
A special appetizer by Chef E – tofu, cucumber, lotus root, sesame and chilli
Chef Eric presentation of Oven Baked Asian Paella was like a mix of Claypot rice, prepared in the oven. There was good and generous use of yams, chicken and seasoning all over. With the dish prepared wholly in the oven, the rice did not stick to the base and was fluffy throughout. An idea I’m sure to try the next time.
Oven Baked Asian Paella
300g Boneless Chicken Leg, sliced
2tsp MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
2tbsps Oyster Sauce
4tbsps Oil for cooking
30g Dried Shrimps, rinse and coarse ground
50g Dried Mushrooms, soaked and sliced
300g Yam, cut into 1cm cubes and deep fried
750g Seasoned Chicken Stock
Salt and Pepper to taste
2pieces Crispy Flat Fish, fried and grounded
1. Marinate chicken with seasoning sauce and oyster sauce. Add cornstarch and oil and set aside.
2. Heat oil in braising pan, sauté dried shrimps and mushrooms till fragrant. Add prewashed rice and pour in chicken stock. Season stock with salt and pepper.
3. When rice mixture comes to boil, add the marinated chicken and precooked yam pieces.
Transfer to preheated oven at 180⁰C and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
4. Serve rice garnished with spring onions and sprinkled with crispy grounded flat fish pieces. Top with spring onions, diced
I was most impressed by the serving of Fresh Strawberries with Balsamico Vinegar and Vanilla Ice Cream. The use of freshly cut strawberries, quickly cooked in a mix of tart, fragrant balsamic and vanilla mix blends really well as a whole. The ice cream calmly cools the entire dish, giving that different touch to the idea of Strawberries and Cream.
Fresh Strawberries with Balsamico Vinegar and Vanilla Ice Cream
50ml Balsamic Vinegar
½ tsp Vanilla Essence
1/4tsp Coarse Ground Black Pepper
12pcs Strawberries, cut into half or quartered
Vanilla Ice Cream
1. Caramelise sugar with water and add the balsamic vinegar, vanilla essence and black pepper. Cook until syrupy and add in the strawberries.
2. Toss well, remove from heat and let the strawberries marinate for 5 minutes.
3. Serve the strawberries with vanilla ice cream.
Thank you Electrolux and Chef Eric for sharing with me these fabulous and simple recipes!