I was surprised and delighted when Anthony gave me a box full of warm freshly made durian pancakes lovingly created by his mum. As he passed me the bag, I could immediately catch the whiff of the sweet warm fruit as it permeated through the air. I knew this was going to be delicious.
While these durian pancakes may look humble, each piece has been made delicately by Aunty. The layer of batter is even throughout with a fine blend of fresh durian within. And they were also carefully cooked, ensuring a deep warm brown colour on the outside.
A simple tea time delicacy, which has now become my third breakfast for the day. Yummy. And yes I have the recipe for it at the bottom of the article. Courtesy of Anthony’s mum =)
A Special Durian Pancake
- 365ml milk
- 2-3 eggs
- 85g sugar
- 150-200g self raising flour
- Fresh durian meat. About 10 seeds worth.
- Mix well together the milk, eggs and sugar.
- Blend the durian flesh until fine, removing any lumps in the process.
- Add in the self raising flour to the mix of milk, eggs and sugar. Stir well to form a smooth batter.
- Spoon in 2 tablespoons worth of blended durian meat into the batter, mixing it thoroughly. Leave to set for 1/2 hour
- Heat non stick pan.
- Scoop 1.5 tablespoon of batter onto pan and form a circle shape with the spoon.
- Once the underside is golden brown, remove from heat.
- Scoop in about 2 teaspoons of blended durian meat onto the pancake. Fold the pancake in half to seal the meat within.
- Repeat steps 6-8 to make about 20 pancakes.
- Serve with English Tea!
Thank You Anthony’s mummy! I enjoyed the loving durian pancakes =)